Guest Kiyoko

Fighting & Experience

7 posts in this topic

Dunno, maybe it is just me, but the way experience is gained through fights feels off and unapealing. Most fights are bound to involve more interaction and thus more posts in order to reach a conclusion, most likely more than a mission unless the participants purposefully drag it out. Giving a small amount of exp only to the winner seems rather conflicting, or at least that is what I believe. Fun aside, if you lose the fight you technically haven't grown. Why not give a bit to the loser as well so the whole thing doesn't turn out to be pointless for them [from a system upgrade point of view]? An overall increase in exp would be welcome too.

Just some thoughts.

Staff have been trying to figure out a way to implement it more, but we want to try to avoid crappy fights just to farm exp, so we might look into increasing the exp by a lot but have the fight be a deathmatch. We want to promote more story driven roleplay over a free for all battleground

With staff already grading missions. Why not incorporate the concept of grading into rewarding for battles? Increasing the current rewards to a bit higher, including exp for the loser and then setting a standard. While more exp could be rewarded but will be subject to staff discretion. I understand, this does subject the staff to scrutiny by the members who won't agree but at least it'll prevent farming for exp via crappy battles. And will also include benefits for those who actually put some effort into it. However, yes, it does mean a ton of more work for staff. 

Well, you can't win em all ya know. 

I think increasing experience but making it a deathmatch is just a bad idea, in my opinion. That would discourage anyone from taking part even more, and conflicts are bound arise between those that dare because of how high the stakes are. 

If you want to avoid people farming exp through repetitive short battles, simply add a cap as to how many battles you can have within a certain amount of time. This would ensure that fighting remains as a viable way to grow stronger, but doesn't grow to be the most dominant. Evaluating battles sounds interesting, and if you believe that is the path to follow, I recommend a simple way to do so in order to keep staff effort, risk and faults to the minimum. Like, three fixed numbers depending on the quality of the fight, so as to not jump into a case by case basis. Ex. 5 for a poor fight, 10 for average, 15 for good.

When it comes to the current fixed numbers regarding exp in battles, I'd like to say It'd perhaps be better to have them be determined by the difference in ranks, rather than by the rank of the opponent alone. The way it is now, an S class ninja would gain the same amount of experience from beating another S class ninja than a C-rank ninja would. 

I think

Vs lower rank = poor exp

Vs same rank  = average exp

Vs rank above = great exp

would be good?

Oh, btw, no fighting alts, obv.

Edited by Kiyoko

18 hours ago, Kabel Waltenden said:

Staff have been trying to figure out a way to implement it more, but we want to try to avoid crappy fights just to farm exp, so we might look into increasing the exp by a lot but have the fight be a deathmatch. We want to promote more story driven roleplay over a free for all battleground

This would encourage mindless pvp for the sake of greeting exp to rank up. This would turn the healthy friendly atmosphere into the toxic atmosphere of so many other forums where they focus on killing each other rather than writing a good story for character development.

If you want a way to encourage player battles and already have a small amount of exp associated with it. Why not increase the amount of exp a bit, but put a cap on the amount on player battles any member can benefit from per shinobi rank. Thus, it provides a desirable options to pvp without the need to kill the other person and promote character development. Naturally, so long as both participants played fairly and survived, they'd both obtain exp(the winner receiving more however) The point to putting a cap on how many pvp battles a member can obtain exp per shinobi rank, is to prevent the members from mindlessly fighting each other over and over to skip missions, etc. An easy way to devise a method for this is to say there is a cap on pvp exp at a percentage of the amount of pvp per shinobi rank. Such as a B Rank shinobi requires 300exp to rankup. You could do a moderate percentage like 30 or 40%- which means in total, the player could earn around 90exp(30%) or 120exp(40%).

To take this idea even further, you can objectively use the pvp battles as character development to push your character in the direction you wish(Such as an Uchiha who needs the fight for their sharingan, or another member wants their character to have amnesia) There's a lot of room for character growth & member cooperation here. So why not make it so members can build character development requests & whomever is interested, can battle with them- they both get exp & learn from the battle both IC & OOC.

With the introduction of character plot in battles, both kinds of battle rp will find their way into the mix: scripted and unscripted. Naturally, the unscripted one should have more exp. But how would one differentiate between the two if neither member discloses? Once again, I rally it back to the staff grading battle type rp. 

Also, I really like what Kiyoko said about using ranks to distribute exp. Developing a bit on that concept, I say reward the lower ranks with more exp. Because for higher ranked shinobi, they have less to learn when fighting a lower ranked shinobi. IC logic supports this distribution of exp. Unless of course you include prodigies, who should be rare and not as common as they are in forums lol 

The idea of distributing exp based on the next rank exp implies the higher the exp required for the next rank, the more a single battle will reward. So, including percentages is a really good idea. But as the rank increases, the percentage should decrease.