Jinpachi

Unrestrict Canon Clans Discussion

14 posts in this topic

This came up a lot today so a topic is being made to move it out of the chat. If you have an opinion on whether or not canon clans should or shouldn't be restricted to a village post about it here. Any ideas to improve the situation would be appreciated. 

2017-08-07-03-43-03-.jpg.ad76d7959c48c83fbca0969b0cc3f44f.jpg

I'd like to say "canon" means squat here. I sorta agree with several points stated above, but in retrospect canon isn't heavily enforced here and looking at abilities canon clans aren't all that with the current weaknesses. Now it becomes personal preference as someone might have reasons they necessarily don't want a Uchiha in Water Village which if given a reasonable IC reason would work, but then every Uchiha not in Water will have some story similar to another of WHY they are in another village. It doesn't bother me at all either way.

Also as a member, allowing input is fine but fellow members you have to realize everything isn't going to bend to your will just cause you bitch and complain cause it isn't how you want it. It is the staffs vision and what they want. If you don't like it play a different clan/bloodline or leave.

SG can't satisfy or do everything everyone wants. If staff says it ia going to be this way then shut up and move on, no need in taking it to cbox or making threads when a decision has been reached.

And a decision has been reached.

1 person likes this

Staff is worried about people quitting the site but then encourages people to quit the site if they don't like how things work here. Do you see my confusion? 

I understand the decision to restrict canon clans to a certain village, it does encourage diversity but it is a very shallow and forced way of doing so. I do not believe that the villages are so uninteresting that no one would pick one or another other than what canon clans they have hostage. 

The comments staff have made regarding this are very narrow minded. "People didn't like being marked for death if they started outside their home village so we removed the option entirely." Ok? Did you not think of maybe going the other way with it? Multiple people have requested this be changed and I don't see any reason not to. The way it is now only discourages people from rping with unneeded restrictions, I don't see any actual evidence that this is helping the site more than it is hurting.

As I mentioned in the round table topic what should be done is the canon clans should be unrestricted so people can be there Uchihas and Hyuugas in any village they like and the villages should make their own custom clans that can be restricted. That way we can have it both ways. Each village can have clans and abilities unique to them but there are no preconceived notions about those clans either so people will not be upset if they can't be a Takoyakushi in Lightning or what have you. 

Posted (edited)

Every member has the right to say what they feel. It's then staffs choice whether or not to do anything about it.

If a vast majority of the members want something changed then i believe it should be looked in to diligently and added on that a lot want it. Not a few people. Staff have final say, but there's no site if you brush off what members say.

Agree with everything Jinpachi says. ~

Edited by Hannah Uzumaki

Idk if it has been this way since the very beginning I am with the staff in standing "firm" with their own decisions. If it was something that was changed then I could see why, but it seems it has been like this since the site was made.

And we all know people come and go, reason there are variety of rpgs. So if the staff believe in their system and their way I don't see why the topic should continue.

I could see some of the canon clans being labled as scattered as some of their histories suggest that they are more like a tight nit group of people.

I'm partially with them (even though I haven't been here long) sometimes as a member you gotta either respect the decision and explore other options or dip out.

And if Soul comes in here and makes a logcial argument for why things should stay the way they are I wouldn't be opposed to it. As of now though it is just Kabel going "I like things the way they are." No one will even acknowledge that the system could be improved and if that's how staff wants to handle it they can but they shouldn't be surprised when people quit if they continue to be dismissive of the members opinions. 

As a member I can honestly say I would not quit a rpg because there was this clan/bl restriction that i didn't like.

Not all ideas will be accepted. If staff have taken and used ideas before and they said "no" it shouldn't be hell unleashed because you didn't get the idea changed.

In agreement with Jin. If Soul comes on and has a logical reason to have the system how it is, I will accept the decision. I wish to hear it straight from the horse's mouth if this is true or not.

I still see zero evidence this was a staff decision.

3 minutes ago, Jigokuchō said:

As a member I can honestly say I would not quit a rpg because there was this clan/bl restriction that i didn't like.

Not all ideas will be accepted. If staff have taken and used ideas before and they said "no" it shouldn't be hell unleashed because you didn't get the idea changed.

They did not use this idea before that is why I am proposing it. We had it set up one way and they didn't like how it worked so they went one direction with it, banning it entirely, I'm proposing to go in the opposite direction. 

Please remember, despite how strongly you feel on one side or another, that everyone is intelligent and wants what is best. We've all thought out our ideas so now we are simply arguing the small details.

What this boils down to is whether or not the restriction will stop people from having fun or not.

Those who disagree with the clan restriction have made a lot of good points. We are not following canon so even if it is the case in the original universe, it doesn't necessarily have to be the case here. And everyone should feel welcomed to play out the character they desire. It is a noble approach.

Now, I am for the clan restriction because I think it will add to the world we are playing in.

Let's begin with some harsh honesty. The reason why anyone wants a bloodline in the first place is because it comes with cool perks. No one picks the Hyuga Clan because they love their culture. They want the Byakugan. And that's fine to want to do all those cool things, but it is an advantage to have something like that. And advantages should require sacrifices.

Clans already have restrictions in their favor. Many of the have special jutsus that no one else gets. Ever.

And the idea of keeping a clan in one village isn't much of a restriction anyway. The only difference between the villages are the missions available (which more can be added) and the people you can immediately role play with. Now, granted, some villages do have unique summons and jutsus that can only be learned there. But people have easily come to accept those because it is part of the site. I think that as long as we have a clear guide to tell people which clans go with which village then it might make things easier for them. When I joined I wasn't sure which village to pick. Others may be the same way. They can see that Uchiha goes with Water. They definitely want to be Uchiha and they don't particularly care which village they join. So they pick Water and happily be part of the clan.

Now let's flip it, because it isn't fair for me to assume that just because picking a village wasn't a big deal to me that it won't be a big deal for everyone else. Now they have the perks but if they reveal it then they risk being hunted. Well it can definitely suck, but it can also be turned around to be a fun opportunity. Now they have a character who must always be on guard for when they can and cannot reveal their true nature. It adds a layer to their character. If they tell their best friend about it then it isn't them stating something obvious, it is them trusting this person enough to risk their lives. And if they use it openly in battle then it shows how dire the situation is.

It is likely that if this did happen, people wouldn't just randomly know and actively hunt them down. The only way that would happen is if the person is showing and using their perks every chance they can, without any discretion. If you guys don't like the idea of hunting someone down then why would any of us want it either. I certainly don't want to. I want players to have fun experiences.

And these restrictions do add flavor to the villages. Clans are a powerful force in a village. So if a clan absolutely doesn't want to go into a war then that village has to keep that in consideration. And if a clan seeks to gain power and expand then that also factors into a lot of elements. Pretend that a shinobi from a clan becomes Kage. Now the other clans have a right to argue whenever something doesn't go their way. They can say that the Kage is only looking to forward their own clan and no one else. It may not be true at all, but it opens character interactions and plot. And isn't that what we want? I want to face drama and adversity and deal with it in a fun way.

This isn't to limit anyone's fun. It is to expand on the possibilities people have. Some restrictions are necessary like the jutsu ranks and the chakra points. People have accepted those, so let's have faith that newcomers will be open minded and accept clans that are specific to one village.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Kazuo Enomoto said:

snip

For one we are now being told that starting in another village with knowledge you will be hunted is no longer allowed. If you're an Uchiha you have to start in Water etc etc. 

Secondly, how does letting everyone have their cake and eat it too not let both sides come out ahead here? Restrict customs clans instead of canon ones and the villages each get unique powerful clans but no is going to come into the site wanting to be an Uchiha in Flame and be told they cannot. I don't see how this isn't an easy solution to take. 

1 minute ago, Jinpachi said:

I don't see how this isn't an easy solution to take. 

Because easy isn't always right. That is why we have jutsu and weapon ranks, ninja specialties, chakra and stamina points, as well as word counts on the missions. It is to help keep a balance.

But it also means more work for the people in charge. They have to monitor and establish the rules. Would they really want to add more onto their work pile if they didn't believe that it was for the best?

And the honest truth, we've been restricting people from the start. You have to begin at a low rank and work your way up. What if I wanted to play as the Hokage or jinjuriki from the very beginning? No one has ever come and said that's why they didn't join. We have new people joining all the time despite that. If someone wanted to have no restrictions on their characters or world then this is the wrong medium. Writing a book gives them all the freedom they could ever want. But we all picked this for a reason.

People are smart and open minded. They understand if there is a restriction. Everyone here, whether they agree to this change or not, is still playing here. People haven't left. And it is because the site offers a lot fun possibilities.

I respect the idea of keeping things open. It does have a lot of merit and heart. But my point stands that restriction can open more possibilities than it closes.

This isn't a restriction on access to power though like saying you have to start at C rank. It's just a restriction on location. No one is saying you can't start as an Uchiha they're saying "You have to do it here." Which is largely arbitrary. 

There would be no new rules to make. We already have rules for apping characters and bloodlines and the clans and such. We would just be allowing them to have any home village. If someone wants to be an Uchiha in Water saying they can also be an Uchiha in Fire isn't going to change their mind. I don't see who this rule benefits. 

Jinpachi, could you tell me a little more about your approach?

You've mentioned it before and I brought up how cool it would be to have clans and villages be different powers. Like how if the Uchiha's were in all three villages then they may be more loyal towards each other than their villages or vice versa. So war would add a whole new conflict. What are your thoughts on that idea?