Mobutt Does Everything

Clanless/Bloodless boosts?

10 posts in this topic

Well I've noticed so far that if you want to get a bijuu, you can't have a bloodline. Sure, it balances things out but considering how capturing a bijuu works. it's very much more or less a disadvantage for the player that lack a bloodline and clan-especially since they can't get advanced elements ( unless they're very lucky and gt the bijuu) I'd probably like for it to be some kind of reward other than not losing 500 ryo for going bloodline-ness. I heard that before it grantd user to get another starter specialty. It seemed like a good system and balances it out nicely enough.

1 person likes this

If were tossing up suggestions, I think we should you use the old method of perks for bloodline-less characters. That being you gain an extra spec if your without a bloodline. For example, a C rank who typically has one spec starting out would have 2 if they dont have a bloodline. I think its a fair trade off and it actually gives decent incentive for one to not have a bloodline. Not everyone does, but as it stands its only advantageous if you have a bloodline. Keeping 500 ryo is a joke , just being honest, hardly worth being considered a perk. 

This is my opinion on the matter, though.

I'm actually alright with bloodlines having a combat advantage.

It makes for more challenging and interesting conflicts. I'm not role playing to have the strongest character, I'm role playing to have fun. It makes sense that bloodlines have strengths and advantages, they what they are for.

True, it does discourage people from playing characters without bloodlines but that is the nature of the beast.

I would like to see clans take on a more active role in villages and have their own responsibilities. So maybe that is what offsets it. Bloodlines have more responsibilities and requirements for active players.

1 person likes this

My understanding was that the weaknesses of having a bloodline (which are mandatory) basically served to even the playing field between bloodline users and those without. A bloodline user has access to certain advanced elements or special powers but at the cost of ability or flexibility in some other field. In general this should make people with a bloodline more specialized but worse in a general capacity, but they should always have some form of exploitable weakness. 

We could further incentive forgoing a bloodline, though it seems that many people here already do that. Plus, if non-bloodline people have a specific buff as compared to someone with a bloodline, isn't that basically just having a bloodline? Currently, no bloodline means no notable weakness and no real restrictions. If we give them some kind of perk, it's the equivalent of having a bloodline.

I do think that Kazuo is spot on though and that clans, especially where they hold power, should pull more weight or do more stuff. That, I think, would be very difficult but would also be super cool.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yeah I have no bloodline and I don't believe it needs a buff. Basically what Duke said. The advantage is no restriction on your elements or specialties. Like Nara for instance gives you one rank cheaper Shadow jutsu which sounds really good but the downside is that they can only have 1 element. Now it's not as noticable at lower levels but at the end game levels you can have four elements and suddenly that one rank cost discount doesn't seem super OP compared to being able to have Lightning, Earth, Wind and Water release. 

Edited by Jinpachi
1 person likes this

Speaking purely as a member here, but while some bloodlines do possess glaring weaknesses, others (mostly advanced releases), give access to an element as a plus, and list the advanced element weaknesses as their minus (some, not all). I can easily take fire, water wind and, say boil at x rank. In the end I just replaced a basic element for an advanced one, which by no means compares to the crippling flaw of the nara (or any other bloodline flaw for that matter, as it is merely the element´s weakness, as opposed to a passive flaw that afflicts your character).

Maybe if clanless aren´t meant to be given an extra push, then maybe some of the existing bloodline weaknesses can be tuned to be reflected as such.

1 minute ago, Kiyoko said:

Speaking purely as a member here, but while some bloodlines do possess glaring weaknesses, others (mostly advanced releases), give access to an element as a plus, and list the advanced element weaknesses as their minus (some, not all). I can easily take fire, water wind and, say boil at x rank. In the end I just replaced a basic element for an advanced one, which by no means compares to the crippling flaw of the nara (or any other bloodline flaw for that matter, as it is merely the element´s weakness, as opposed to a passive flaw that afflicts your character).

Maybe if clanless aren´t meant to be given an extra push, then maybe some of the existing bloodline weaknesses can be tuned to be reflected as such.

We were just talking about this and chat and thought that an advanced element counted as two element slots. So at X you'd just be allowed to have Ice, Wind, and Water as an example.

@Kiyoko Are you saying that, if clanless doesn't need an extra push, bloodlines are too weak right now? Or have too big of a drawback?

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Jinpachi said:

We were just talking about this and chat and thought that an advanced element counted as two element slots. So at X you'd just be allowed to have Ice, Wind, and Water as an example.

An advanced element doesn´t count as an element slot at all, until you can handle two elements at which point it will. Example: You may start with water and Ice (that´s two element whereas other characters get only 1). When you can handle or more, it counts as a single slot, meaning you´ll still have water and Ice. When you rank enough you can just get the other two elements (one of them must be part of your advanced release obv)

If this is not the way it is handled, the guide is outdated and i have not been informed.

@Duke I am saying some bloodlines have weaknesses which allows clanless to be technically be on par with them, and others which, by listing the advanced element weakness as an actual bloodline weakness, end up with no weakness at all, making them stronger than the other two previously mentioned. So maybe, if giving clanless a boost is not the way, we could review some existing bloodlines, like steam for instance, to give their users an actual weakness (Ex. Members are born more frail than other families, -1 Endurance - As opposed to Steam is weak to x and y elements).

Edited by Kiyoko
1 person likes this

Oh yes yes! I fully agree: Clan weakness should be separate from element weaknesses for sure! Which will require a bit of returning and such, but nothing insurmountable. 

1 person likes this